Re: Interface with GUI agent

  • Subject: Re: Interface with GUI agent
  • From: Mathias Sundman <mathias@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 10:46:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Jan Kiszka wrote:

James Yonan wrote:

If it's not a windows specific problem, then I suppost it's best to add
the functionallity in the openvpn binary so we get the portability.

I don't think the openvpn binary needs to know about this. But the service wrapper probably needs a second mode of operation, where instead of getting its config files by scanning a directory, it listens on a local socket for a command from the GUI to start an openvpn.exe instance.

Then don't forget that we will need a similar wrapper for unix as well...

Why do we need a wrapper in unix? Can't the openvpn binary be run as a normal user in unix?

If we need root-privs, what's wrong with installing openvpn as suid root and have it drop its privs after start-up?

We still need the management interface in openvpn though for all platforms so we can check the status of the connection from a gui, but that's another issue.

NILINGS AB                        X    NO HTML/RTF in e-mail
Tel: +46-(0)8-666 32 28          / \   NO Word docs in e-mail