Re: [Openvpn-devel] Openvpn clustering

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-devel] Openvpn clustering
  • From: "James Yonan" <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 20:37:51 -0000

Beta2 has a new feature where you can run the OpenVPN server on multiple
machines, and then give clients a DNS name which maps to multiple IP
addresses.  The client will choose one of the IPs randomly.  If there's a
ping-restart event, the client will restart and use a different IP from the
list.  Using ping/ping-restart one can then establish a kind of failover sequence.

This can be done in two ways: (1) via DNS, i.e. giving multiple addresses to a
single DNS name or (2) using multiple "remote" options in the client config
file, and possibly using the "remote-random" flag.

James